Obtaining the I-20 Form
To become an F-1 international student in the United States (U.S.), you must first obtain a Form I-20. Once you've been fully admitted to Cooper and paid your deposit, you will be contacted by the International Student and Scholars Office in regards to the next steps for obtaining your I-20. Please note that we do not collect documents for the I-20 until you've been fully admitted.
An I-20 is a U.S. government form that is issued by Cooper Union for the purpose of certifying that you are eligible for the F-1 student status. The I-20, also known as the Certificate of Eligibility (COE), certifies that:
- You've been fully admitted to Cooper Union and we expect that you will be attending as a full-time student towards a specific educational objective.
- You have sufficient funding to study and live in the U.S. for the duration of your educational program.
Obtaining the I-20
To obtain your I-20, we will require the following documentation, which must be uploaded to your applicant portal.
- I-20 application
- Copy of acceptance letter
- Copy of passport (biographical page only)
- Proof of funding (acceptable financial documents)
Please note that we are looking for available funding for at least the first year of study (tuition and living expenses). Additionally, we look for financial capability to cover future years of study. You can review tuition and fees here.
If you are already an F-1 student and will be transferring your I-20 to Cooper, you'll also need to:
- Submit the transfer form, to be completed by you and the Designated School Official (DSO) at your previous institution
- Have your SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) record electronically transferred to Cooper
Submitting Your Documents
All documents can be uploaded to your applicant portal for review by the International Student and Scholars Office. Once all of your documents and your deposit have been submitted, you should follow up with the ISSO to confirm receipt. If all documents are sufficient, your I-20 will be issued within 2-3 weeks. The deadline for submitting all I-20 documents is June 1 but we recommend that you start your process as soon as your deposit is submitted.