THE CENTER FOR CAREER DEVELOPMENT PROVIDES GUIDANCE ON THE FOLLOWING:
The Center for Career Development provides an abundance of resources and tools that are specific to each academic school. For direct access to specific resources, such as industry exploration, resume, cover letter, and portfolio preparation, salary negotiations, visit our career development space on Student Connect.
- Strategies on effective career exploration: This includes one-on-one counseling, administering self-assessment tests and results, how to most effectively conduct career research, and the importance of networking as a tool to self-educate and become more familiar with one's individual goals.
- Creation and refining of application materials: This includes the creation and customization of resumes, cover letters, portfolios, artist statements, short answer responses, and essay responses for grants and master's education. We help students understand the importance of customizing their materials, but we prepare them with the tools to be able to do so post-graduation.
- Navigating the hiring process: This includes discussions on professional communication, interviewing skills, post-interviewing etiquette, salary negotiations, and more.
- Utilizing resources: We provide resources for all students, including information from industry knowledge to external opportunities during and post-graduation. More importantly, we offer guidance on how to best utilize the resources and effectively make the most of what there is to offer.
- Building and developing soft skills: Our office works with students to encourage greater self-awareness and responsibility for their actions, and help them communicate their needs and wants in the most effective way. We help students understand their weaknesses and strengths to gain a sense of agency and know where and how they can improve moving forward.